Welcome to Handspring
Who are we?
- Specialised adult gymnastic classes as it pertains to body-weight strength training, conditioning and mobility
- Workshops in relation to kipping gymnastic movements (i.e muscle-ups, chest-to-bar pull-ups & handstand walking)
- Personal training (anything gymnastics related)
What is Gymnastics Strength Training?
- Advance body-weight strength training without all the high level technical skills you would typically see in competitive gymnastics
- Emphasis on building strong foundations in body-weight strength training, accomplished through a specialised training program designed to strengthen your core, build connective tissue in your joints and make you move better through specific stretching and mobility work
- Whether you have intentions to accomplish a strict muscle-up or get your first pull up, or just simply want to move better and look leaner, then our classes will be a great match for you
Why Join Our Classes?
- Improve your overall athleticism across many other sports as you develop better body awareness and build a stronger mid-line
- Address deficiencies and imbalances across your body
- Build lean muscle, trim that waist line and tone key muscles (arms, core and legs)
- Improve your mobility and get rid of lower back pain through consistent core work
- Be part of a great community
Gymnastic Workshops & Personal Training
- Conducted numerous specialised gymnastic workshops at various gyms around Sydney. Recent workshops have been facilitated at CF Rushhour Ryde, CF Strenue, CF Manly Vale, CF SPS, CF PINC, CF North Head, CF Avalon, CFA, CFA City and Virgin Active
- We go into detail when it comes to handstands, bar muscle-ups, ring muscle-ups, toes-to-bar and chest-to-bar pull-ups, hence combining it all into one big session is simply information overload and not the best way to master these movements - gymnastics takes time! This is why we like to space it over several weeks or just run specific workshops on one particular movement (i.e Ring Muscle-ups)
- Currently conducting PTs out of CFA City (Sydney CBD) and Manly Warringah Gymnastics Club (Cromer)
- For more information please contact Ben by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ben Wood (Head Coach & Owner) established Handspring in mid-2016 with the goal of using almost 25 years of experience in gymnastics (16 years as a coach) to help others achieve specific goals as well as provide an alternative source of fitness that is conducive to getting stronger, lean and more mobile!
Ben was a competitive gymnast at the highest level (senior international) who competed for Australia at the World University Games in 2007 and placed 6th overall and 3rd place on Pommel at the 2008 National Championships. Ben's tenor in competitive gymnastics spanned 17+ years and included a 10 month stint training overseas at the University of Calgary.
Following retirement from competitive gymnastics in 2009, Ben was selected into the National Talent Identification program for flat water sprint kayaking where he was fortunate to once again represent Australia at the World University Championships in late 2010.
In mid-2012 Ben found a new hobbie in CrossFit, where he was able to enjoy the open variety of fitness on offer (such as gymnastics, weightlifting, cardio and endurance). Helping people with their kipping gymnastics became an evident opportunity to help people become stronger and more efficient in this area.